Monday, July 28, 2008

At the Gates

11 years ago I was introduced to an album that revolutionized the way I look at heavy music altogether. Beforehand, I had been a fan of "heavy" music like Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden etc. but at the age of 13 when I was introduced to At the Gates "Slaughter of the Soul", it blew my mind. I had never heard anything so brutal, yet melodic, it is such an epic record, everything about it makes it one of my top 10 records of all time. Here's the shitty part, 11 years ago was 1997...At the Gates broke up in 1996. I had since consigned myself to a life of NEVER seeing At the Gates live. Maybe I could see Disfear or other bands that former members had formed, but I would never experience "Slaughter of the Soul" live. As of last night, I can die a happy man. I was one of the lucky ones to see At the Gates on their last date of their one and only reunion tour ever. It was amazing. I really can't put into words how amazing it was. I can understand if you are not an At the Gates fan, you may not share my enthusiasm, but just think of one band that is so influential to you that you will NEVER see because they are broken up. Then think of your delight when you hear that they are doing one AND ONLY ONE reunion tour. You have to be there right? Then you hear the one of your favorite current bands is opening (Municipal Waste) and another long dispersed band is going to play two nights in Southern California with At the Gates (Repulsion). Ecstatic right? All I can say is the show last night was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I will never forget and I am totally fulfilled.

No comments: